There were so many great moments from the first quarter of the year! As we continue to champion and support women in sports, we wanted to highlight a few of our favorite moments! From first time business ventures, to breaking glass ceilings and making history in the process. Here is our First Quarter Review highlights for Women in Sports.
1. LA Sparks become first women’s sports team to sign sponsorship deal with alcoholic beverage. This deal is the first of its kind! They have signed an “all-encompassing beverage deal” with Molson Coors, the producer of beer and other alcoholic beverages.
2. Toronto Raptors announce all female broadcast team for March 24th game against the Denver Nuggets. History was made as Canada's first all-female broadcast. Play-by-play was led by Meghan McPeak alongside TSN analyst Kia Nurse of the Canadian national team and WNBA's Phoenix Mercury. TSN host and reporter Kayla Grey handled sideline duties. TSN's Kate Beirness and Amy Audibert, Raptors 905 analyst, hosted the show and provided game analysis.
3. For Women by Women, Four Olympians Launch Media Platform. USWNT forward Alex Morgan, swimmer Simone Manuel, snowboarder Chloe Kim, and WNBA player Sue Bird launched TOGETHXR, a media and commerce company aimed at celebrating millennial and Gen Z female athletes and their impact in sports.
4. Tokyo Olympics adds 12 Women to Executive Board to reach 42%. This act was a symbolic gesture as they work towards gender equality.
5. Sarah Thomas breaks the grass ceiling by becoming the first ever women to referee the Super Bowl.
6. Soccer star Megan Rapinoe testifies before Congress on unacceptable gender pay gap.
7. Natalie Sago & Jenna Schroeder become first two women referee crew in NBA history during Orlando Magic versus Hornets game.
8. Danita Powers becomes First Black President, man or woman in MLS history to be appointed team president and one of the highest-ranking female club executives in league history for DC United.
9. Lori Locust and Marla Javadifar become the first female coaches to win Super Bowl helping the Tampa Bay Buccaneers defeat the Kansa City Chiefs.
10. Lisa Byington becomes the first female to call play-by-play in the history of the Men’s NCAA Tournament.
11. Red Sox hire Bianca Smith as Minor League Coach making her first black women to serve as coach in the history of professional baseball.
12. Washington Wizards promote Amber Nichols to general manager of G League Affiliate, Capital City Go-Go.
13. Washington’s Football Team Jennifer King makes history as first Black woman to be full time NFL Coach.
14. Renee Montgomery becomes first former player to become both an Owner and Executive of a WNBA team.
15. Brehanna Daniels and Dalanda Ouendeno make NASCAR history as First Two Black women pitting together in the Daytona 500.